Everyday God - Amazon

Monday, December 27, 2010

Winding through the storm

I've been told by my mother that my Great Grandmother, "Ouma Louw", loved to fly. I think I've inherited that joy. I've flown the flight too and from Kimberly many times now and it's usually quite routine. Ascend to cruising altitude, switch to auto pilot and cruise all the way there. Very often we'll encounter clouds along the way and the ride will get a little bumpy.

This time it was altogether different. The flight to Kimberly was unique. It seemed to be all routine, until the captain announced that there were some storm clouds ahead and he was going to have to try and fly around them. And boy, did he do that. With great care he lowered altitude and swayed left and right as he dived past the storm clouds.

I wish I could have been in that cockpit. I would have loved to see the whole process in action, and I had a thousand questions. Like, "Why dive below the clouds when you could soar above them?"

My stepfather was of great use when he explained that the Doplar radar systems on board the flight contols helped the pilots to plot out the route with the least turbulance and air resistance.

I think the work of the Holy Spirit is much like that. He sees things that to us with naked vision are impossible to see. When he guides us at times it seems as if he is going the wrong way, as he navigates us below the storm where we are sure to encounter rain and wind. You see Jesus never promised us that we will not go through storms, but that he would be with us and get us to the other side.

We truly need to obey the directions of the Holy Spirit and trust that he is guiding us through the storm safely!

No comments:

Post a Comment