Everyday God - Amazon

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Home before sunset


It may be a strange thing to hear for some folk but I really appreciate every day that I can get home after work before sunset. I know that in some parts of the Northern Hemisphere the sun can set as late as at 10 pm. In Johannesburg in winter the sun sets somewhere between 5 and 6 pm.

Any delays at the office or errands to run after work will result in arriving home after the sun has set. Somehow this always leaves me feeling a little robbed that I have had no day time to be at home with my cats.

A longing to be home is not unusual. The question I ask myself is what perception do we have of the house of God? David talked about “dwelling in the secret place of the most high.” Surely a place we dwell should be a place we can call home.

I know that I can be as guilty as any of feeling that getting to church at times is just too much effort, but I know that is not the attitude that God desires us to have of his place of worship. I suppose the 'note to self' is if going to church were more like going home, it wouldn't require so much effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment