Everyday God - Amazon

Monday, January 28, 2013

Petrol pump compassion



I remember a Sunday evening years ago, I was driving home from Church, when I needed to stop at the petrol station on the way home.  My cottage in Randpark Ridge was a mere 5-10 minutes’ drive from Church. 

Out of the blue I was approached by a gentlemen begging for my help as his car had broken down.  I’m usually cautious about assisting people especially when I am alone, but the Holy Spirit prompted me to assist this family in need. 

What was meant to be a short 10 minute drive home ended up taking over an hour of driving to Roodepoort and back.  That’s the kind of love Galatians 5 is talking about, a deep caring and compassion for the needs of others.

It is easy to give something when it isn’t a big loss to you but love means going the extra mile and being willing to put yourself out a little to help others.  This kind of love is the challenging type but when you allow yourself to feel the pain of others and do something about it, the rewards are a deep satisfaction and joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment