Everyday God - Amazon

Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's not inside it's on top

That good old Cremora advert. Hubby's looking for the Cremora in the refrigerator. He yells at his wife: “There's no Cremora in the refrigerator!” Wife yells back back, “It's not inside it's on top!”

Looking for the right thing in the wrong place can be very frustrating. This leads me to ask the question, from where are we supposed to get/find peace? So many of us are looking for peace from outside sources.

If my job is better, I'll be at peace. If my kids obey me, I'll be at peace. If my spouse respects me, I'll have peace. No you won't. The reason you won't is because peace is not something that comes from outside of us. We cannot get it by meditating (which only brings calm), we cannot get it by striving, because that takes away our peace and we cannot get it from other people because it is something we need to find within ourselves.

That doesn't sound right you say, but Galatians 5:22-23 tells us that peace is a fruit of the Spirit. That means it is an outflow of what is inside of us. If you don't make/find peace within yourself first, you'll never have peace with the outside world.

If you are searching for peace right now, stop, listen to the Holy Spirit and focus on what God has placed inside of you. Realize that Christ died for us so that we might have peace, therefore as your relationship with him grows, so too will your peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment