Everyday God - Amazon

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cut in!


I was congratulating myself on a productive work day while on the drive home when I pulled up next to a BMW. The driver signalled to me that he wanted to cut in front of me once the robots changed. Concerned about the motor bike that had just pulled in front of me to do the same, I signalled to him to go behind me.

Trouble was the driver couldn't read my thoughts and thought I was just being difficult. It didn't take much effort to lip read his response. It's bothered me all evening as I actually wasn't trying to be difficult at all. I'm pretty sure we sometimes misunderstand God's words to us sometimes too. So how do we learn to get it right?

It takes practice and paying attention. When we invest time seeking God for direction we will learn through experience. There will be times when we hear God's speak and either choose not to obey or simply make a mistake, the consequences will soon teach us that we have missed it. Similarly though there will be times when we get it spot on and achieve success! It's then that we will know when we've heard from God.

Take heart though, when we miss it, intentionally or not, when we ask God for forgiveness, he will be faithful and just to forgive us (1 John 1 v 9). We need to be bold and be prepared to take the necessary risks as once we learn to hear God's voice, following his guidance becomes so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment