Everyday God - Amazon

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Doing the laps

I tootled off to the gym this evening hoping to do a splash of aqua aerobics. Upon arrival however the aqua pool was closed and only the main swimming pool was open. I grudgingly fetched my goggles and climbed into the cool water. What I had forgotten however is how much I really love doing laps. I'm not a fast swimmer by any means but I do have stamina to do long distance.

A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to do the Midmar dam swim, I trained the distance but never did the race, chickened out, tee hee! At that point though I was swimming anywhere between 100 – 150 laps. The secret to doing long distance swimming, so I'm told, is not too hold your breath as long as you would if you were doing a dash, but rather to breath frequently.

In life we often focus on the short goals, the next 100 meters and we try to dash it through with little breath. We get to the end of the 100 meters and have no strength left for the rest of the race. I want to encourage you to rather start focusing on the longer distance and take your breaths when you need to, i.e. do a short 1 day get away or go somewhere new or do something creative, just to allow you to get your energy back.

Well tonight I only managed 20 laps and was totally breathless afterwards, but man do I feel alive! The bug has bitten and I know I'll be back there again soon. What are you going to do with your life today to bring back that rush of energy you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment