Everyday God - Amazon

Monday, June 2, 2014

Embracing my vegan self

During lent this year I decided to fast red meat. I wanted to see if I was in any way ready to possibly consider going vegan on a permanent basis. The trial went well although there were some hick ups, but for the most part it was an amazing experience and bore fruit both spiritually and emotionally.

At the end of lent I pretty much went back to normal, but over the last week, I found myself struggling once again to consume meat and it just felt awful. After much thought I decided to give my body what it wanted and that was more meat free meals. I'm certainly not saying I'll never eat meat again but I think for the most part my diet is going to be predominantly vegan.

This really made me wonder. Does the way we eat reflect on our core values or is simply a learned behaviour? I think it is so much a learned behaviour that most people never ask the question, so where did questioning my dietary behaviour being for me? I'm not entirely sure when it all started but I know I have said before that if it wasn't for biltong I would have become vegan a long time ago (gives you a clue how much I love biltong, tee hee!). I know that when I first started working on the herb garden I had said I wanted to live life more organically. It feels like this next step is a natural progression towards achieving that goal.

Is it possible for us to live our spiritual lives more organically? I believe we can. Our faith walk should be a natural outflow of who we are and embracing all that God has created us to be. Living our hopes and dreams and having the faith to step out and make those big moves when required to do so.

Are you ready to live your spiritual life more organically?

No comments:

Post a Comment