Everyday God - Amazon

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Leave behind kindness

On Thursday I'll be flying to Durban for my Gran's funeral to take place on Friday.  I have asked to be given a few moments to speak and there are so many thoughts and stories that come to mind that to be honest I'm not sure which way that will go. 

Being a single person with no kids, the thought goes through my mind often about what legacy I'll leave behind.  Something that I have been meditating on though is what was Gran Smith's legacy?  I could speak of the accomplishments of her children and grand children but those would be hollow words for achievement like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  To me the one thing that sets Gran apart was her kindness and the care she showed to others. 

There were always people visiting gran day in and day out and I don't believe it was because they had nothing better to do.  I do however believe that in some way each person left a little better than when they arrived.  In her years as caretaker of the flats there was nothing that Gran would not get sorted out if something when wrong.  She always knew whom to call for each situation.  More than that though I know that child and adult alike would have felt her warmth and love. 

Money is the least of all legacies we leave behind therefore I am going to challenge you to ask yourself the question, what will I leave behind? 

No comments:

Post a Comment