Everyday God - Amazon

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Oh the leaves of autumn



One thing I had not counted on when starting my herb garden round the back of the house was how much work dealing with autumn leaves would be.  The oak tree in my neighbour’s yard has made an awful mess of leaves and with all the tyres, slabs and stones it is really difficult to clean up. 

I can’t leave the leaves lying round either as I’m scared it may attract gogo’s to my herbs.  Hopefully it will just be another week or two until the bulk of the leaves are gone, then I can get stuck into the herb garden and work on that over winter as the gardening magazines say that herbs quite like the cold. 

The amazing thing about autumn and winter is that they expose the raw stumps of the trees which can look very stark and bare.  In our spiritual journey we face these seasons too when it seems that all life has been stripped from our bones and we are laid bare before God. 

It is at these times that the stark truth of our relationship with God is exposed and tested.  Although they are tough times, they are necessary and valuable.  If we will allow these times to do the work they need to we will learn the true essence of our faith.  Once proven we can look forward to the joy of fresh buds in spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment