Everyday God - Amazon

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

To work or not to work?


When I first decided to take this journey into looking at the meaning of the Sabbath, I honestly didn’t know where to begin.  Strangely it just wasn’t a subject we did in Bible School (unless I slept through that part).  When Googling I found a Jewish website about the Sabbath and decided this would be a good source of material.  I was sceptical though as I did not want to get lost in the “letter of the law.”

In looking at this next point it does indeed speak to that concept.  Jews forbid several types of work on the Sabbath and the list is quite long, so I won’t share it here.  The list does seem to focus on manual labour, i.e. sowing, plowing, reaping etc.  In interpreting the spirit of the law, I guess that would apply to what we would classify as our jobs.

To redefine it another way, I would say that God desires to have all of our attention.  We should not partake in activities that would otherwise legally be allowed to draw our attention to everyday employment.  I suppose it is learning how to practically apply that is where the challenge lies. I suppose the question we need to ask is, “Does what I am doing now worship God or money?” 
Tough one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment