Everyday God - Amazon

Monday, June 11, 2012

Back end of the desert


So Moses stuffs up, kills the Egyptian and flees to the desert. He winds up herding sheep for a living. I can imagine the “conversations with self”. Egyptian Royalty and look at me....looking after sheep, what a sorry sight I am.

I certainly don't agree with the killing of the Egyptian (not cool) but somehow I think God was waiting for Moses to show some passion for his own people, something to indicate that he was ready for the next level of training.

You've got to be kidding me, I can hear you say, herding sheep was a promotion and part of his training? No, it was a demotion, one that would teach him humility but more importantly how to care for something or someone other than yourself.

So where does the herding fit into God's training schedule? You guessed it! It took great skill for Moses to lead a couple of million Jews out of Egypt towards their promised land. I think you can put your bottom dollar on it, sometime while wondering round the desert with millions of Jews in tow, Moses must have smiled to God and said, “Okay, now I get it”.

The circumstances we face in life may not be great, but somehow, somewhere God is working in us to produce the fruit of great leadership. To steal a line from the “Spiderman” movie, “With great power comes great responsibility.” Let's learn to treasure the desert times in our lives, because it is all part of God's training for reigning.

No comments:

Post a Comment