Everyday God - Amazon

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Wash those dirty feet

Like most kids I used to love running round bare foot, so much so that I would often go to bed with feet that were covered in dirt.  Obviously this would make the bed dirty and I'm guessing that irritated my parents somewhat and my dad would come into the room at night, uncover my feet and give me my marching orders to go and wash my feet before bed.  Heehee!

In ancient times though people had a totally different type of dirt on their feet.  They would walk the roads that were also shared by livestock and I'm sure you can imagine the rest.  That's why when entering a house they would always wash their feet and usually this task was carried out by servants.

That is precisely why Jesus washed the disciples feet when they entered the upper room.  He was declaring by His actions that He was there to serve them and that He would soon perform His greatest act of servant hood by dying for our salvation.

Jesus showed the true nature of leadership and that is to serve.  We should never forget that when we seek to be great we will first need to help others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment