Everyday God - Amazon

Monday, February 15, 2016

I gave it all for Lent

We all know the saying "I gave it all for Lent" but most don't stop to consider what it really means.  The Lent journey starts on Ash Wednesday which was actually last Wednesday (sorry I haven't been on the ball this year) and continues on for the 40 days up until resurrection Sunday. 

Now I've been hesitant to even consider looking at this year as the last time I paid it any attention, I gave up meat and chicken and have struggled to eat it since.  There were aspects of that time that touched me deeply and made an impact on how I live and I have pretty much stayed 90% vegetarian since but do eat fish.

Why would I give meat up anyway, why do we give up anything for the lent time period?  Forsaking something we love during this time encourages us to focus more on our relationship with Christ and especially to connect with His death and resurrection and the power that lies within that, most importantly our salvation. 

If you have never taken part in the lent journey before I encourage you to do some research on it and I have supplied further study material links below.  I encourage you to take some time out to do so and I'll try to touch on aspects of the journey over these next few weeks, but I won't cover it in detail.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For further research you can download the Lent handbook from my church's website in pdf format in both English and Afrikaans

http://www.mosaiek.com/lent-2016/

http://www.upperroom.org/lent101


No comments:

Post a Comment