Everyday God - Amazon

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The windy road

In geometry we learn that the shortest route from point A to B is a straight line.  The question is, is it the quickest.  Now logic would suggest that this should be the case, but try that out in peak hour traffic and you'll quickly learn that it is not. 

Case and point my new route to work.  From where I live to the office park is on a relatively straight line, but that line happens to be Hendrick Potgieter drive.  Mmmm.  Not such a long distance, so I can't complain, but sit in that stream and a normal 15 - 20 minute drive can quickly turn to half an hour.  The junction where our office park is happens to be right in the bend of the offramp to the highway, Arrrgh! 

So along comes the windy road.  I never dreamt that this would be possible, but each time I try it, I beat my navigator by at least 5 minutes.  The windy road takes me on a short strip to just past Clearwater Mall, turn a left onto the route to my old office park, but duck a quick left again just before and I quickly reach a little back road on the top side of the mountain that takes me all the way to just behind the park.  Cross over the bridge and duck right and away we go and I'm in.

Now what does this have to do with our relationship with God.  Quite a bit.  Main line Christianity would teach us that there is a formula to developing our relationship with God when it comes to our quiet time.  I'll admit on the days I'm up early, that's great.  I especially love my new QT spot in my loft.  The sun comes steaming in through the red curtain and its a beautiful start to the morning.  Trouble is, I'm not a morning person.  Here comes the windy road bit.  How about I try that QT straight after feeding my kitties in the evening, seeing as their feeding station has now also been moved upstairs to the loft?  Bingo, job done.  A bit later in the day but no less effective and I enjoy it just as much, sometimes more because I'm not watching the clock.

So where will your windy road take you?  I have no idea and only you can complete the journey, but trust me, if you do, there's a whole new world of joy to discover in your relationship with God!

No comments:

Post a Comment