Everyday God - Amazon

Monday, July 24, 2017

My concept of church

Wow! I have never been as challenged about my concept of church as I was on Sunday. Typical me, I wasn't on children's church duty, so I dawdled through the morning to go to second service because we had a children's church lunch on after that. No sooner had I left home (not even out the complex driveway) when I was hit by a major sinus attack. My eyes swelled with water and burned as the almost toxic late winter dust and fire smog filled air got in my eyes and sent my dust allergies flaring.

Needless to say I arrived at church very late. I didn't want to embarrass myself by walking into the auditorium late so I went into one of the other venues where they have some lounge chairs out and they had the service playing on TV screens right in that spot. As I sat there it struck me as to how we limit God and our perception and reality of what the church really is.

In terms of buildings I've experienced so many, from Holy cathedrals, to massive auditoriums, to small intimate chapels....but... the truest church of all has been found in the warmest loving hug of great spiritual friend who has stood by me through thick and thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment