Everyday God - Amazon

Thursday, July 20, 2017

For the love of a kitty

With Honey and Ginger I can't remember how it happened or when it happened, because it was all so organic and being male kitties they would rub themselves against me constantly to mark me as their territory, but their affection towards me just grew each year. Ginger is now highly affectionate when he chooses and it is easy to love him. I still miss my darling Honey-Bear dearly and think of him daily.

The challenge for me was little Topaz, even though her stay at the shelter was really short when compared to some of the other cats that had been there a while, she arrived very hardened, afraid and unloving. Biting me was a daily routine and it took a long while just to work that habit out of her with love, but getting any affection or being able to tickle her was practically impossible.

So I began with tickling her when she came in from her morning run around. I would tickle her while she was feeding, then slowly I have been able to find other ways to encourage a few tickles. Now her training has grown even more to her now doing the same thing that Honey and Ginger do and that is jumping on top of the toilet when I get out the shower and while I dry my feet she gets a daily tickle.....and boy can I see that she is starting to like it, much to my delight.

I've said it before but I believe God brought Topaz into my life to teach me how to love people who have been hurt and wounded by life and how to reach out to them with constant love and affection. Yes, people will bite and hurt you too, but if you stay put and you just keep at it, slowly they will be able to relax and open up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment