Everyday God - Amazon

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Gotta turn that soil baby!

Boy are we having another record breaking heat wave, other than earlier this year I can't remember when last we had such a long persistent heat wave that just felt like it was going to spit you out!  As I have said before that has made gardening this year really difficult.  I had however blamed the lack of growth of some of my plants to pure heat, but I realized the other day that I was wrong. 

In the early days of developing the back garden, I spent a lot of time planting, moving, digging up plants I didn't want and sowing seeds of all sorts of stuff while trying to figure out what was going to work.  As a result the soil got turned regularly and this gave the plants much needed air to their roots.  It also helped me to see quickly if there was a problem with the soil, i.e. bugs eating at the roots that needed attention or work.  I must admit, I forgot all about that. 

As a result some of my new plants have just died and I have only realized why too late.........A picture starting to come to mind.... Uh huh!  You guessed it, the same thing happens to us in our spiritual lives.  We get stagnant in our efforts to work at our salvation and faith and what happens?  Our spiritual roots get suffocated, the bugs move in and before we know it, we are backsliding in our faith. 

If we want to grow spiritually then we have to turn the soil of our soul and think through and ponder God's word, focus on prayer and talking to God and do activities that regenerate our spiritual soil.  When we do that the healing power of God's Holy Spirit rain can soak into us, strengthen us and bring much needed healing where necessary.




No comments:

Post a Comment