Everyday God - Amazon

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Holding on to Christmas

January 10th is my dad's death anniversary.  Today being my last day of leave I decided it had to be time to pack away the Christmas decorations as I had delayed this project this year.  I somehow just could not bring myself round to packing away all the decorations so kept out my little Christmas village houses and some lights.  

I just did not want to let go of the joy of Christmas quite so quickly but I recall that in the first few years after his passing things has been very different.  You see, dad suffered a stroke on approximately the 23rd of December 1997.  I hope I am recalling that correctly as I believe my original flight to Durban bad been booked for the 24th of December and I had to rush to the travel agent to change the date.  

He was still in recovery from the brain surgery when he suffered a heart attack 3 weeks later and passed on the 10th of January 1998.

For several years after that, Christmas just did not feel like Christmas any more, but I eventually healed from the heartache and slowly began to find the joy in this beautiful time of year again.  

Thanks fully God has granted me many joyous and amazing Christmas's since then and this past one was very special spending the time with my mom in her new home in George in the beautiful Western Cape.  

I know many have spent this last year feeling the same way I did before, but know this my friends, God does heal the heartache.  He always allows us to remember those when have lost but we will be able to find the joy of Christmas and in deed our faith once again.

So if you have already packed away the decorations, how about lighting a candle with me. Ask God for healing and strength and give him your heart so that he may touch it with his gentle love and tenderness. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sentiments and really touching❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thank you for reading my blog!

      Delete