Everyday God - Amazon

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Back away from the door

Faced with a fight of flight situation, most people have a healthy flight response.  Now being a red headed Leo has unfortunately landed me in hot water many times.  Now tonights story isn't nearly quite so dramatic but it drove the "better safe than sorry" principle home in an unusual way. 

I had planned to try a nice new recepe based on something I had eaten before.  Mushy potatoes, baked fish cakes and a sort of lemon/coconut milk/margerine sauce with herbs, smothering some nicely cooked peas.  So I get home, knowing that load shedding is about to start and I haul out my Cobb to do a quick braaied fish and the rest of the ingredients to be cooked on the gas stove. 

I get the coals going and as I am about to go outside to lay on the fish cakes it starts to patter with rain.  Now at that moment, I had precisely the best opportunity to asses the situation and make a call to rather fry the fish cakes than grill them.....sigh!  What do I say to myself, "How bad can it get?" and out I go. 

No sooner are the fish cakes placed and a terrential downpour out of nowhere strikes with battering winds, leaving me totally flabagasted.  Now at this point I'm still in denial and I think, well it has a dome, maybe the fish cakes will make it.  Well a few minutes later of starring out the door, I finally make peace with the fact that my fish cakes were probably nothing but mush.  Well plan B supper was one of my old potatoe salad concoctions. 

So where is the moral in the story here?  I should have listened to that little voice saying, "Ronwyn, back away from the door and fry your fish".  But No. How often don't we make mistakes in life because we simply refuse to listen to what the Holy Spirit is trying to say to us (and save our supper too). 

Revelations 2:29 "He who as an ear, let him hear, what the Spirit says to the Churches."  Now that has far more reaching effects than my above scenario, but the trouble is, when we disobey the voice of the Holy Spirit with small things, it becomes easier to disobey him with the bigger larger and possibly more dangerous aspects of life.  

So as my fish cakes lie in the bin and hopefully lesson learned, let me encourage you to look out for the warning signs in life, when God is trying to get your attention.  

To me, better luck next time, but for you, I hope that you are a stronger listener than I am. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment